Sunday, August 17, 2008

I am proud...

Have you ever had one of those moments where you are so proud of your child that your heart wants to burst and your eyes well up with tears? Where you wonder where they found the determination and strength to do what they did? I had one of those moments yesterday with Hailey. She was trying out for dance at a totally new dance studio with 50 other girls that she did not know. There she went, alone to face her fears and do her best. It was heart wrenching to watch because as a mother I just wanted someone to stand next to her, to smile at her, to put her mind at ease and all I could do was nothing...just watch. I had to leave for a few minutes, to walk outside and pull myself together. It reminded me of the days when we moved all the way from Chicago to New Jersey. The memory of my first day of High School, during lunch, when I had to sit all alone at a table came flooding back to me and I could not stop the tears from coming. There is nothing worse for a 14 year old than to sit all alone, not having a single friend in sight. That's how I felt for Hailey...and on top of that, she had to dance in front of them! (All I had to do is eat my sack lunch!)

And she did it, she went out and did her best and I was so proud of her! This was a moment for me I won't soon forget... thanks Hailey for being such a good example to me!

7 comments:

bolingbrokes said...

Good job Hailey girl...determination will get you everywhere!!

Anonymous said...

Hailey has come a long way from when she would hide her face if anyone looked at her to the scene you witnessed. Hooray for Hailey!! All the experience that she's gotten from dance classes had to give her the confidence she needed! She does us proud! And another star for Hailey's chart...mamamia

Amy said...

That's my girl!! I know from experience just how hard trying out like that is - way to go Hails!!

Jan said...

Yay for Hailey!! I really remember those feelings -- and now I'm feeling them for grandkiddoes. It's so hard -- you just want to FIX everything for them. You're a fabulous mama!

tara said...

nice job hailey:)

Jill said...

I'm sure she did great. I hope she gets the spot she wanted.

I don't go to Rachel's auditions anymore. Too nerve racking for me...and I think I make her more nervous by my anxiety.

It's a good thing our children can teach us from time to time, right?

Where is she dancing?

Carrie said...

love and get a little choked up with stories where little kids show so much heroism. good job hailey way to be brave.