Sunday, September 9, 2007

What a Day!

Well Saturday started out to be a great day...R and I woke up way too early at 7am and decided since we couldn't sleep in we'd take the 4 wheelers out for a spin. Ever since we bought our boat we have been neglecting them. They just sit there looking so lonely and putting on such a sad face that it makes you feel bad (Yes, I am talking about machinery here folks). So we went up American Fork Canyon and had a beautiful ride...no one was there and it was very peaceful, except for the deafening roar of the 4 wheelers in my ear and the diesel smell that almost made me want to heave every time I'd get too close to RC's rear ( the rear of his ATV, not the other one... although that smell can be just as toxic at times :) All in all it was a great morning.
Now we come to the afternoon...my darling, never argumentative,(heavy on the sarcasm here) always sweet, 16 year old Hannah needs a dress for Homecoming. Keep in mind it is in 1 week and we leave for Paris in 4 days. I have been telling her for quite some time that we have to go find a dress soon or she'll be wearing the Harmon's grocery bag! (Which I don't think would fit all so well since she is 6ft tall). She is never home so finally we get the chance to go. I'm all excited since she is the 1st of my four girls to go dress shopping with but my excitement was quickly dashed. Let me ask you one thing...DO ANY OF YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT IT'S LIKE TO TAKE A 16 YR OLD DRESS SHOPPING? Now I do have to say that I do love her dearly but man it's hard...just when I'm thinking I'm a pretty cool and hip mom I am rudely slapped in the face with a harsh reality...teenage girl. (I guess my denim overalls, Doc Martins, and banana clip went out of style some time ago) The roll of the eyes, the heavy sighs ...you get the picture. Actually it wasn't quite that bad...but she is so tall and every dress that had possibilities went back on the rack once she tried it on. But alas, we did find the dress...after 2 different malls and about 20 diet cokes...we found it! I have to say it is beautiful and she looks amazing in it. Now finding the right shoes is another story...her date is not taller than her (I told her to call Nicole Kidman for some sympathy) so we have to find flats. She would be just as happy wearing her Chuck Taylors!

Everything turned out fine in the end but I did go home and take a 2 hour nap! So for all of you out there that have done this before I sympathize and for those that have this to look forward to...GOOD LUCK!

This is not her actual dress...I'll post a picture of her in it after the dance!

12 comments:

Holly O. said...

You are from Palatine??? I just saw your comment on Hayley's blog. We grew up there too! We went to Fremd High School. Did you go to Palatine? I graduated in 1995. We were in Schaumburg 1st ward. How about you?

Melissa said...

Hi Holly, we lived in Palatine from about 2nd grade to 8th grade, which would have been in 1984...I am quite a bit older than you obviously. My sisters went to Palatine HS...go pirates! I am drawing a blank on our ward...I'll call my sisters and ask. Small world, huh?

Holly O. said...

That is crazy! You were probably in one of the Arlington Heights wards. That is too funny!

Melissa said...

OK I think it was called Northwest (some #) ward...it's been too long to remember. How did you end up all the way out here?

Melissa said...

I did know lots of people from Arlington Heights...I bet it's changed so much, I haven't been back to the area for many, many years. I'd love to go back some day soon.

Kristi said...

Sounds like an exciting day what with toxic rears and shopping! I am with you on the Diet Coke, girl, and I need only 20 to get through the morning...ok, not really...just through lunch...

Unknown said...

good grief, this is like seeing into my future. only 12 years to go and maya will be the one sighing and rolling her eyes. wait, she already does that. sighing and rolling her eyes while dress shopping, i should say.

Anonymous said...

After every shopping trip for a dance my mom swore she would never take me again..apparently I was a pain in the butt to shop with.. I think if she and I shared 20 diet cokes we would have had a much more pleasant time eh

Heather said...

What a small world! I just saw on your comment on my sister Hayley's blog that you lived in Palatine growing up. Crazy! I graduated from High School in '90. Love the H names, I have a Hunter, Hannah, Hayden and a Hope. And i'm Heather. What a mess, right?

Lupe said...

Hi Melissa! Yes, we just moved to Kadena on Okinawa. We're in the Kadena Branch. What's our brother's and SIL's name? So cool!

Lupe said...

Ugh! I meant 'your' brother's name.

tara said...

I demand pics of hannah in her dress the moment you get back from you trip;)
Glad you and R got some got some good shiny-red action:)