Sunday, September 30, 2007

Laughter

Something's been on my mind today and I'd like to share it with you all. (I know you are just dying to hear what I have to say, huh?) But it's this...HUMOR, LAUGHTER, FRIENDS. These things are so important to me...I'm not saying that I can't be serious, I can. But I love to laugh, I need to laugh and it helps me get through some tough times. I was raised in a home with 3 sisters, sisters who liked to lock each other in the attic for a good laugh. I was raised with a mom who acted goofy...I'm sure when I was in my teens, this was not a good thing while I was with my friends, but still, I remember laughter. And although my dad is not a comedian (sorry dad, but you're not) we laugh in our family. And now, even full-grown and a wife and mother, I need to laugh. I am so lucky to be married to a very funny man...one who will act foolish, just to entertain me. I like to sing and dance with my girls, even if they shut the blinds and close the windows to spare the neighbors...I still do it. I laugh, I laugh as much as I can...even when I think I might pee my pants, I still do it! And so it goes without saying that I like to surround myself with those who will laugh with me, who will laugh at me, and who make me laugh. I need this, just like I need love and comfort from these same friends. So to you, my friends, thanks for laughing... thanks for acting goofy, silly, foolish and sometimes even stupid! We can't take ourselves too seriously or be too hard on ourselves...we have to find joy in life. This piece of advice I need to take myself. I need to not worry about all that is beyond my control, I need to laugh at some of the hard stuff.
So to all of you who laugh with me...Thank You! And thanks Chrissy Lou for the good hardy chuckle you gave me today...I needed it. Hannah & I driving home from St. George,
caught in traffic and thought we'd pass the time being silly!My goofy family

12 comments:

Jan said...

Oh, I'm with you. I love to laugh - and I love to be completely silly and dorky. I think I need it!

Anonymous said...

you are so right. there is nothing better than laughing so hard you cry, or getting a good chuckle at something really stupid, I love those moments.

Kristi said...

Aww, see? This is why we can be friends. :) I love to laugh, too. Especailly a hanging out with the girls, laughing our booty's off--it's my favorite.

That picture of you in the car cracks me up. You are one fun chick!!!

Anonymous said...

you were okay with Hannah driving in that horrible traffic...and you sitting there scaring the heck out of the drivers around you and causing wrecks and more traffic jams...now that's my kind of fun!!
you think I was goofy? you want to know what I think you were?

Melissa said...

Mom, that was me driving and Hannah scaring people! Are you kidding, Hannah HATES to drive the Suburban.

Carrie said...

Nice one on the road trip! That's too funny!

Hayley said...

great pictures & great point. it is important to laugh. it keeps us young. it keeps us from having heart attacks. i love laughter. i get embarrassed of my most sincere laugh, cause its loud (known as the bark) but it really is fun to have. thanks melissa!

Anonymous said...

I know that was you driving...just thought I'd stir things up a bit...

Unknown said...

agreed, agreed, agreed! the cottam motto is "have joy". {we thought about having it be "for a good time, call...} :)

Heather said...

It really does feel so food to just belly laugh. Love the pictures, and I love the image of the girls running around so you can dance without "shaming" them. haha

Angie said...

You know my motto....Life is Good!

Cam said...

Ok, this is my first time leaving a comment. I agree with you 100% on the humor thing. That's why I love to watch funny movies and AFV (even tho Jeff ridicules me for that one). I don't care...bring it on!!